This page shows COVID-19 guidelines for Botswana, but please check local government advice before making any decisions.
Please Note: We provide help with COVID specific requirements to clients who have booked a safari with us only.
- All travellers are required to present a negative COVID-19 test certificate upon arrival. The test must be a Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test, with the sample collected within 72 hours of boarding your flight to Botswana.
- You must complete a a traveler locator form (handed out on the airplane or on arrival) with accurate contact information while in Botswana so that the local Health Authority can contact you, if necessary, within 14 days.
- Presentation of Covid-19 PCR negative certificate.
- Temperature & health screening.
- Additional complimentary COVID-19 test at Botswana border points on arrival (including children). This is a rapid antigen test and takes 20 minutes.
- PCR Testing can be done in Maun with a 24 hour turnaround but you will need to consider spending the night in Maun with additional costs.
- Tests can be taken in Kasane, but allow at least 24 hours for results. You can take a test after your visit to the Okavango Delta in Kasane and then proceed to your Chobe area camp or lodge to await the results before departing Kasane to travel home.
- Most camps and lodges in Botswana allow for a nurse to be flown in for testing right at your camp. Results will be emailed for presentation at the airport in Kasane or Maun. Costs range from USD 300 – USD 400 per person. This usually needs to be pre-arranged and you should contact your tour operator or lodge in advance.
- You may want to consider starting your trip in Maun and ending at Kasane as the routing will make testing more affordable and easier to obtain.
- There is no specific requirement for exit of Botswana, however it is likely your home country or next travel country will require a test. In addition, many airlines also require testing and you should consult their websites for the requirements.
- There is currently no exemption to the rules for fully vaccinated passengers.